Recently, Mount Rinjani opens many ascent routes, such as Timba Nuh Village route and Torean Village route. But, the most popular is the two main routes, Sembalun Village route and Senaru Village route. It because both of the routes directly connected to 5 most attractive places, such as crater rim, crater lake, hot spring and the summit.
If you take Timba Nuh route, you only can reach the crater rim and the north part of the crater lake without seeing the summit and hot spring.
If you take Torean route, you can reach the crater lake and hot spring and there you can decide to reach the summit (return via Sembalun) or reach Senaru crater rim (return via Senaru).
For more detail, you can see Rinjani Trekking Map. Well, now we go back to the topic on “How to choose the appropriate ascent route?”But, before you choose the best route for you, it is better to understand the following information:
The Location of Mount Rinjani
Mount Rinjani is located in the island of Lombok. Administratively the mountain is in the Regency of North Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. It rises to 3,726 meters above sea level (12,224 ft), making it the second highest volcano in Indonesia. It dominates the landscape of the small island of Lombok.
The Ascent Routes
Sembalun Village Ascent Route
Sembalun village is located in the eastern part of Mount Rinjani at height 1.100 meters above the sea level. Sembalun route becomes the most favorite ascent route for the climbers who just want to reach the summit. Because the route is closer to the summit and it only needs 2 days hiking to reach the summit. The first day is for ascending and the second day for descending.
The most interesting sceneries to see in Sembalun route is the wide sunny meadow. You need sun hat and sun block to go through this route.
After reach the summit, if you want to see the crater lake, hot spring and Senaru crater rim, it is better for you to take minimum 3 days hiking and maximum 5 days hiking. The ascent will end in Senaru Village.
Senaru Village Ascent Route
Senaru Village is located in the western part of Lombok Island at height 601 meters above the sea level which all the lands lie the villagers farm and tropical forest. Senaru route suit for the beginner climbers or family who want to enjoy the scenery of the crater lake from the west part of Mount Rinjani. To reach the crater lake it needs 2 days hiking, hike up on the first day and descend to Senaru on the next day.
Senaru route is usually fogy and rainy. You are suggested to bring rain coat just in case and be careful with the slippery route when it rains.
After reach the crater lake, if you want to see the summit and hot spring, you should take minimum 3 days hiking and maximum 5 days hiking. You will camp for the night at the edge of the crater and begin descend on the next day to Sembalun Village.
The Location of the Main Destinations
The Summit 3726 masl
The summit is located in the eastern part of Lombok Island which is close to Sembalun crater rim. To reach the summit you should overnight at Sembalun crater rim then start climb up around 2 am or 3 am and you will arrive at the summit before sunrise. The very steep, sandy and rocky trail to the summit is quite hard for the beginner climber. Your step will take a step back after a step forward. The weather to the summit is very cold before the sunrise. It is about 2-3°C even up to 0°C when the weather is foggy and windy. You are suggested to wear warm/windproof jacket, windproof long trek pants, gloves, trekking shoes, and scarf to keep you warm at the summit. The weather starts to warm after sunrise around 6.20 am. Enjoy the sunrise from the highest place is such a wonderful experience and it feels like you stand on a land over the clouds.
Sembalun Crater Rim
Sembalun crater rim is located in eastern part of Mount Rinjani at height 2,369 masl, close to the summit. If you start hike from Sembalun Village and want to reach the summit, you should stay overnight in the crater rim and start climbing to the summit on the next day. The most interesting you might see at the crater rim is the fresh and healthy hot spring which is located at height 2,369 masl, the only spring at the height. Over the years, thousands people take the water for drinks and cooking, but it never dries.
The Crater Lake
The Crater Lake which is located in the middle of Rinjani crater at height 2010 masl, is also known as Segara Anak Lake (Child of the Sea), due to the color of its water, as blue as the sea. To reach it you should climbing for 3 days 2 night minimum and 5 days 4 night maximum. You might see the crater lake after take the camp at the crater rim. The most interesting to do at the lake is fishing and swimming.
The crater lake is unique because the following reasons:
- A vast lake at height 2010 masl
- It is surrounded by the mountain cliffs just like giant dam.
- The lake is very important as a cooler for an active volcano Mount Barujari which is located in the middle of the lake. The last eruption is on November 2016. Without the lake around the mountain, it can be predicted it will erupt almost everydays.
- The crater lake has a lot of fish that never runs out. However, thousands climbers fish them over the years.
The hot spring is located only 5 minutes walk from the crater lake at height 2000 masl. The hot spring comes from the volcano with the heat degree 20-35°C. It is really relaxing bathing in the waters after hard climbing.
Senaru Crater Rim
Senaru crater rim is located in the western part of Mount Rinjani at height 2,641 masl. The crater is famoused with the wonderful sceneries. In the east you will see the whole part of Mount Rinjani, such as the summit, Sembalun crater rim, Mount Barujari and the amazing view of the crater lake which is surrounded by the mountain cliffs. In the west you will see the view of sunset over the clouds, the half part of Lombok Island, Gilli, and Mount Batur in Bali.
After read the above information and if you still confuse to choose which route suit you the best? Below the useful tips that you may consider.
Decide your Main Destination
Main destination is the most important thing before you choose the climmbing route, because all the destinations you might to see are located in different places.
- if you only want to reach the summit, you are suggested to climb via Sembalun and take 2 days and 1 night program for the expert climbers and take 3 days 2 night program for the beginners. Both will end in Sembalun.
- If you only want to reach Senaru crater rim, you are suggested to take Senaru route and take 2 days 1 night program. Your climbing will end in Senaru Village at the second day.
- If you only want to reach the crater lake and hot sprng,you should start in Senaru with 3 days and 2 night program for the expert climber. Camp at night at Senaru Crater rim, continue to the crater lake and hot spring on the second day, and climb down to Senaru on the last day. For the beginner climbbers, it is better to take 4 days and 3 night program. Start climb at Senaru and camp at night at Senaru Crater rim, the second day camp at the crater lake, the third day back to camp at the crater rim and climb down on the last day.
- If you one to reach all the destinations in one climbing, you can decide which route you want to take, Senaru or Sembalun route. If you want to reach the summit first then climb down to the crater lake and hot spring, it is better to take Sembalun route for 3 days and 2 nights climbing. But, if you want to relax at the lake and hot spring first then climb up to the summit, it is better to take Senaru route for 3 days and 2 nights. For the beginner climbers, it is suggested to take 4 days and 3 nights program to reach all the destinations. Because the expert and the beginners have different climbing speed.
See your Fitness Level
Fitness level is one of the most important things in choosing the appropriate climbing route. If you are not experienced in climb up and down, it better for you to take the longer time climbing, maximum 4 days to finish all the climbing destinations. But, if you have less time and want enjoy the beauty of the mountain, you are suggested to take Senaru route and finish your climbing at the crater rim only.
Hopefully the above information is useful for you and feel free to contact us for further information via Whats Up or Email.